GO for Biking-to-Work!
Biking to work is a win-win choice. In urban areas, the biking is often the fastest, most economical means of travel for distances of about 5 km, not to mention its positive effects on our health and the environment. Daily commuting by bike means putting fun before work, but also benefitting from an opportunity to unwind after a busy day. In short, it means better quality of life. As part of the Go Bike Montréal Festival, we invite you to Go for it!
Want to start biking to work? Have questions about safety rules, cycling routes, public transit compatibility? Come and see us on Bike-to-Work Day in downtown Montréal. Get the answers on site and make cycling your daily mode of transportation – a healthy choice.
From 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Maison des cyclistes, 1251 Rachel Street East
Rouge Café, morning show of 107.3 Rouge FM, with Marie-Élaine Proulx and Stéphane Richard, broadcast live from the Maison des cyclistes.
From 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Avenue McGill College (between Sainte-Catherine and de Maisonneuve)
Bicycle–friendly entertainment, a free basic tune-up and an opportunity to join us for a picnic downtown!
The program of Bike-to-Work Day
Is there sufficient mobilization in support of cycling in Québec?
- Les Producteurs de lait du Québec: distribution of chocolate milk and apples. Also: “Vélo-smoothie Lait” (maple and apple products).
- STM: Demonstration of the Opus card loader and presentation of STM services.
- Communauto: Presentation of their services and a Communauto vehicle on site equipped with a bike rack. Suggestions for bike excursions to take when renting a Communauto.
- SOS Vélo: Presentation of the SOS Vélo used bicycle recycling program, as well as some products and different ÉcoVélo models.
- SAAQ: Bike helmet adjustment and raising awareness of road safety rules, notably blind spots. Opportunity to visualize blind spots as a heavy vehicle operator.
- SPVM: Awareness-raising and bicycle anti-theft marking.
- BIXI: Opportunity to try a BIXI bike and pay station user demonstration.
- Vélo Québec: Everything about biking to work, bike touring, cycling trips, training courses, mountain biking and summer cycling events. Contest and distribution of bike path map.
- Other partners also on site: Voyagez Futé, Place Montréal Trust and Rouge FM.
The formula is simple: a facilitator and four cycling advocates will discuss the following themes: Is there sufficient mobilization in support of cycling in Québec? Can there be a meeting of minds in the community? Do the actions and initiatives of several groups in a city make the authorities move more quickly? Are resources spread too thin? What can be expected from the authorities? Have an opinion? Then come out and share it with other biking enthusiasts!
: Stéphane Desjardins, Journalist
Our four Cycling Advocates
Daniel Lambert, Spokesperson, Coalition Vélo Montréal
Suzanne Lareau, President and CEO, Vélo Québec
Paul Lewis, Dean, Faculty of Environmental Design, Université de Montréal
Jeanne Robin, Assistant Director, Vivre en ville
Bar Salon, Cinémathèque québécoise
335 de Maisonneuve Blvd East, from 5 p.m.
Lecture Le virage vélo de Paris by Christophe Najdovski
Christophe Najdovski – the deputy mayor of Paris in charge of transport, mobility, roads and public space – will speak about the latest cycling-related developments in Paris and the objectives outlined in the Cycling Plan, which will fundamentally transform the French capital. More info and registration.
Grande Bibliothèque Auditorium
475, boul. de Maisonneuve Est, at 5:30 p.m.
Also on the program of the week
Mouvement vélosympathique Certification Program
Presentation of Bicycle-Friendly Awards recognizing the achievements of communities groups and organizations that promote biking.
Status of biking in Québec in 2015
Launch of L’état du vélo au Québec en 2015, a study published every five years providing a detailed account of various aspects of biking, as well as biking trends.
In May, it’s better by bike
Whether you use your bike for getting to work, shopping or exercise, take advantage of Bike Month in Québec to celebrate the pleasure of two-wheel commuting and take a tour in the Go Bike Montréal Festival.
Contests, schedule, tips and advice